Chicken Katsu & Crab Tamago Onigirazu
My kids loves sushi! Instead of making the traditional roll sushi, I tried the latest trending Japanese rice sandwich, Onigirazu. It is so much simple to make this and you can just add your prefer fillings inside the rice sandwich. I've chosen chicken katsu and tamago for the fillings as they are their two favourites items. ^0^ Below is a mini in-door pinic set-up to brighten up their days.
Frying chicken katsu
- 500gm chicken breast
- 1 egg, beaten
- Butterfly chicken breast to make it thinner. Use the back of a cleaver, lightly pound the chicken breast to flatten. Season both side with some salt & pepper.
- Dredge chicken breast with flour, egg follow by panko.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, slide in coated chicken breast and pan fry on both sides till golden brown. Drain well on kitchen paper.
Making of crab tamago
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 100gm crab meat
- Lightly beat the eggs with the mirin. Sieve the mixture.
- Lightly grease a pan. Pour in a portion of egg mixture. Cook over low heat till half set. Sprinkle in some crab meat and roll up. Slide the egg roll to one side, pour in another portion of egg mixture. Repeat till egg mixture and crab meat are used up.
assembling the rice sandwich
Ingredient (make 12 rice sandwich)
- 2 cups Japanese short grain rice
Homemade Sushi Vinegar (dissolve over low heat)
- 6 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 sheets of seaweed
- Chicken katsu
- Crab tamago
- 1 Japanese cucumber, shredded
- Wash and rinse rice thoroughly. Place in rice cooker, add 2 cups water and cook accordingly. When rice is cooked, drizzle in sushi vinegar and mix well. Leave to cool before using.
- To assemble : Place a piece of seaweed over a large plastic cling wrap. Scoop 80gm cooked sushi rice and place in the middle of the seaweed sheet. Wet your fingers and slightly spread out the rice.
- Place a slice of chicken katsu/crab tamago over the rice. Spread some mayonnaise over and top with shredded cucumber.
- Lastly top with 60gm of sushi rice over the cucumber. Gently press down to compact the fillings. Fold in corner with the help of the cling wrapper. Wrap the rice sandwich tightly with the cling wrap. Repeat till rice are used up. There will be balanced of chicken katsu and crab tamago.