Revisiting this fruit pastry cake which was really popular over blogsphere in 2009/2010!!! Actually I'm not happy with the last bake I've did in 2010....hahaha as the pictures turned out really ugly. Today's ones looked so much pretty and cheery!
For those whom never bake/try this cake before, it tasted really light and lovely. Not too buttery, moist crumbs with tinge of lemony flavour.
Before & after baking
Ingredients (9" round cake)
- 100gm salted butter
- 180gm fine sugar
- 50gm plain yogurt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 200gm cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 450gm assorted fruits (I've used strawberries, peaches & longans)
- Drain peaches and longans from canned thoroughly. Discard the syrup. Slice strawberries into halves. Set aside the fruits.
- Grease and line a 9" round cake pan. *I've used a pushpan which do not require to line or grease.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and yogurt till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs gradually till well combined. The mixture may appear slightly curdled.
- Beat in vanilla extract and zest.
- Sieve over flour and baking powder in batches and fold till smooth. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Arrange fruits on top, do not press the fruits down into the batter.
- Bake in pre-heat oven at 160 deg cel for 60-70 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Tent the top with foil in the last 15 mins of baking to prevent the top from getting over browned.
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 mins. Unmold and transfer to wire rack to let cool completely. Dust the cake with some icing sugar if desired.