Who say eating healthy and meat-free diet is boring and bland? This moreish vegan patty is awfully delicious and filling at the same time. Herbs and spices, Tahini paste, low sodium soy sauce and sweet medjool dates added helps to flavour up this vegan patties, no salt or sugar is needed. To make it healthier the patties are baked instead of frying. With extra effort, I've baked some sweet potato buns to sandwich this yummy vegan patties. Sounds great right?
Ingredients for making the Vegan Patties : mixed grains, rolled oats, cannellini beans, medjool dates, portobello mushroom
After shaping and baking
- 6 big portobello mushroom, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 400gm tin of cannellini beans, drained well
- 4 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- small bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp low sodium light soy sauce
- 200gm brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 50gm rolled oats
- zest of 1 large lemon
- homemade sweet potatoes bun, halved & toasted
- avocado, mashed
- cheese slices
- tomato slices
- red cabbage, sliced
- lettuce, shredded
- chilli sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan. Add mushroom and thyme. Fry until the mushroom have dried out and lightly browned. Season with some salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Place cannellini, dates, garlic, parsley, tahini and soy sauce in a food processor. Process mixture till smooth. Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Add rice, oats, zests and cooled mushrooms into beans mixture. Mix well and chill in fridge for 30mins to firm up.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into patties. Place them on a lined baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven at 230deg cel for 15 mins until nicely brown.
- To serve : Spread toasted sweet potatoes buns with mashed avocado, layer with tomato slice, red cabbage, lettuce, vegan patties and cheese slices.
After layering with mashed avocado, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, red cabbage, it became a whoopie 5" tall Vegan Burger! ^0^
Homemade Sweet Potato Buns
Recipe ref: 'Original Flavour' by Carol
- 150gm orange sweet potato, wgt after steaming
- 250gm bread flour
- 50gm wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 20gm sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150ml unsweetened soy milk (need not use up all)
- white sesame seeds
- Mash steamed sweet potato while its still hot. Cool down before using.
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl. (Reserve 50ml milk)
- Knead till dough is smooth and elastic. Add more milk if dough is too dry.
- Cover the dough with cling wrap and place in a warm place. Proof till double in bulk for about 1 hour.
- Lightly punch down dough to release gas. Knead lightly on a floured surface.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Shape into round shape. Place onto lined baking sheet.
- Cover and let it to proof for another 50-60 mins.
- Lightly brush surface with water. Sprinkle white sesame seeds over.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 20-25 mins.
- Remove buns from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
Cook Your Books #24 by Kitchen Flavours
Post a Comment