Though my first attempt on spiral yam mooncake was rather successful in terms of taste, I'm not really satisfied with the spiral appearance :P Therefore I attempted the recipe (all ingredients remains the same) again but using a different wrapping method! This time round the spiral appearance turn out even more pretty! So happy with the results :D
See the difference between the 2 mooncakes? I like the 2nd one as the spiral is more distinctive :D
Pastry Dough (makes 12 mooncakes)
- 60gm shortening
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 80gm warm water
- 1/4 tsp rice vinegar
- 180gm bread flour
Dissolve sugar into warm water. Cut shortening into flour till bread crumbs formed. Pour in warm water and vinegar gradually and stirring at the same time. Knead till a smooth dough is formed. Cover and rest for 30mins.
- 180gm plain flour
- 100gm shortening
- few drops of purple colouring (I use wilton colour paste)
Bake plain flour in preheated oven at 130 deg cel for 10mins. Stirring once in between the baking time. Cool down completely before kneading in shortening. While a dough is formed, incorporate in the colour paste evenly.
- Roll out coloured oil dough in between 2 sheets cling wrap, size enough to encase into the water dough.
- Lightly dust a working surface with some flour, roll out water dough into a large rectangle.
- Place oil dough over the middle of the large rectangle. Wrap up the oil dough like a book in 2 folds.
- Turn the sheet 90 deg and roll out into a large rectangle. Roll up like a swiss roll.
- Flatten the roll and roll out into a large rectangle again. Again roll up the sheet into a swiss roll. Trim off the both ends slightly* (reserved this for sealing the edge later). You will see the spiral forming in the roll.
- Divide the roll into 2 large portions. Further divide each large portion into 6 equal disc. You will get 12 round discs.
- Dust the working surface lightly. Roll out each disc into thin sheet. Wrap up a portion of yam filling and seal the edge tightly with some balanced dough*.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 25-30 mins.
- Cool completely before storing.