Voila! This is the most gigantic bread I've ever made! ^0^ Doesn't it looks familiar to you? I did not know until now that Malaysia Kampar town has this dish which is similar to our local one known as Golden Pillow 金枕头 :D I've actually tasted this dish once like 10 years ago! Nothing special to the taste, except it looks more attractive in the presentation by wrapping the cooked curry chicken inside the sweet bread.
Hahaha... I've tried to shape it in a rectangle shape like a pillow, but alas it turned out rather round and flat >.< Nevertheless the bread looks pretty nice to me, golden hue and the texture is soft too! I think this is great to serve at the dining table! Imagine everyone gather round the table and start tearing the bread apart and dipping into the creamy and flavourful curry! ^.^
- 450gm bread flour
- 25gm milk powder
- 15gm instant yeast
- 60gm sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 130ml cold milk
- 130ml cold water
- 40gm butter
- extra milk for glazing
- Combine milk and water together.
- Mix flour, milk powder, yeast, sugar & salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in egg and water (I did not add all, reserve 2-3 tbsp) and mix together in a rough dough. Knead for 5 mins.
- Add in butter and knead for another 10mins until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and proof for 1 hour or double in bulk.
- After 1 hour proofing, punch down dough and knead lightly. Rest for another 10mins.
- Roll out dough in a large rectangle shape or round shape, put the wrapped chicken (refer to recipe below) at the center and gather the edges together. Pinch and seal tightly. Transfer onto a lined baking tray and proof for another 45mins.
- Glaze the surface with milk and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35 mins or until golden brown. If the surface browned to fast, lightly shield the bread with a foil and bake till done.
Above picture is the cooked curry chicken before enclose into the bread dough. Looks like quite amount of gravy inside, but it actually reduce slightly after baking together with the bread. I chosen to cook the curry chicken using instant curry paste rather than taking the time of making a basic rempah. So this is rather easy and fast to prepare and taste as good too! :D
Curry Chicken Recipe
- 500gm chicken pieces
- 90gm red curry paste (I used Ayam brand)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 shallots
- 150ml water
- 200ml coconut milk
- Pound garlic and shallots till fine.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in pan and saute until fragrant.
- Add in chicken pieces and stir fry for 2-3 mins until lightly browned.
- Add in red curry paste and mix evenly.
- Add in water and coconut milk. Cover and simmer for 10mins. Cool down.
- Double lined a deep casserole with foil. Ladle in curry chicken and seal tightly.