This is my first time making gingerbread boy & gal which turns out very ugly :P Not a good cookie dough to handle as it spread out and becomes out of shape after baking! This is also my first time handle a royal icing piping...my piping skill makes the cookie even uglier hehehe...Anyway my boy had a great time helping out with simple cutting and decorations :D
Recipe adapted from 'Children's Party Cakes & Cookies'
- 95gm light brown sugar
- 115gm unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 175gm wholemeal flour
- 15gm cocoa powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp milk
- royal icing for icing*
- Sift flour, cocoa powder & ground ginger together. Set aside.
- Cream brown sugar, butter, vanilla essence & salt till light & fluffy.
- Fold in flour and add milk to bind the the mixture.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. Stamp out shapes using your preferred cookie cutters and place on baking sheets. (if making into gingerbread boy, decorations like chocolates buttons and pearls can be placed at this moment, place down the deco slightly)
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 12-15mins, leaving to cool on baking sheets until firm. Do not attempt to lift the cookies onto cooling rack as they are still soft.
- Cool completely on wire rack and decorate as desired.
Recipe adapted from Wilton
- 1.5 tbsp Wilton Meringue Powder
- 220gm icing sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tbsp warm water (increase the water accordingly to get the consistency required)
- Using a electric whisk, beat all ingredients until glossy & fluffy. Adjust the consistency by adding more water.
- Use the icing immediately, store in air-tight container to prevent the icing from drying out.