Awesome tasty looking beef rendang! My kids could not stop scooping the thick gravy over their rice! I've actually tone down the spiciness so that they could enjoy this tantalising dish. My the other half frowned again when saw this dish being served as he's not a fan of beef, the only odd one out in our family. 😓😅 I've gave a portion to share with my neighbour and she commented this was the best beef rendang she ever tasted! hahaha I'm so flattered by her feedback.
toasted grated coconut a.k.a kerisik which is a must in rendang dish!
- 1 kg beef shin and shank, cut into chunks
- 375gm Ayam brand pure coconut cream
- 2 stalks lemongrass, halved and bruised
- 200gm homemade spicy rempah
- 3 tsp garam marsala powder
- 10gm coconut sugar
- salt to taste
- 100gm freshly grated coconut
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep casserole. Add rempah,marsala powder and lemongrass, saute for 2 min.
- Add in beef chunks and fry for 5 mins. Add in coconut cream and enough water to submerge the beef. Bring to boil. Cover and lower heat and allow to simmer for 2 hours until the meat is tender. Stir the mixture in between to prevent scorching at the bottom.
- Meanwhile fry the grated coconut over a dry and clean heated pan over medium low heat. Stirring continuously until the grated coconut turn golden brown. Remove from heat. Pound the toasted grated coconut to release its oil. Set aside.
- Check the pot of stew beef. Add more thin coconut milk if liquid reduce too much. Add kerisik, sugar and salt to taste and continue to simmer for a while till meat is completely tender. Remove from heat and serve with hot rice.
Fragrant Mixed Spice Rice
- 300gm long grain rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 5 cardamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 lemongrass, halved and brusied
- 2 blades pandan leaves, knotted
- 120gm sweet corn kernels
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 300ml water
- 100gm mixed raisins
- Wash and drain rice thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add garlic, shallots, cardamon, turmeric powder and lemongrass and saute till fragrant.
- Add in rice and sweet corn kernels and fry for a minute. Stir in seasoning.
- Transfer the rice mixture into rice cooker. Add in pandan leaves and water. Cook according to your rice cooker instructions. Fluff and stir in mixed raisins. Serve.