Starting my simple mooncake making this year! Only bake a small batch of 18 walnut mooncake using low sugar white lotus paste and 28 pieces of baked custard mooncake. These two mooncakes are really easy to make and tasted awesome! The kids are very enthusiatics this year and requesting me to pack some for their teachers....wish granted! ^0^
Recipe ref with some modifications : bakingmum.com
Ingredient (18 pcs)
- 180gm plain flour
- 20gm custard powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 25gm icing sugar
- 125gm salted butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 30gm egg
- 520gm low sugar white lotus paste
- 50gm toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water for glazing
- Cream sugar, butter andvanilla together until light. Add in egg and beat till combined.
- Sift in flour, custard powder and soda and beat lightly till a dough is formed, do not over beat.
- Keep dough in a air-tight container and chill in fridge to rest for at least 1 hour.
- Combine lotus paste with chopped walnuts and knead till well combined. Divide filling into 30gm portion.
- Take out dough from fridge and divide into 20gm each.
- Wrap fillings into dough and decorate with extra walnuts. Apply egg wash and bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 10mins. Remove from oven and cool down for 10mins. Apply egg wash again and bake for another 15mins until golden brown.
- Cool completely before storing in air-tight container.
Baked Custard Mooncakes
- 30gm butter
- 60gm fine sugar
- 65gm egg
- 25gm condensed milk
- 100gm Ayam brand coconut milk
- 20gm plain flour
- 15gm custard powder
- 10gm tapioca flour
- In a heat proof bowl, cream butter and sugar until light. Add in egg and beat until well combined.
- Beat in condensed milk and coconut milk. Sift flour mixture into egg batter and mix till free of lumps.
- Place the bowl into a steamer and steam over medium heat for 25 mins, stirring every 5 mins. Set aside to cool down slightly.
- Knead the custard till smooth, cling wrap and chill in fridge for 1/2 hour.
Buttery Mooncake Pastry
- 100gm butter
- 60gm fine sugar
- 65gm egg
- 220gm plain flour
- 35gm custard powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
egg wash : 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water, mixed and strained
- Using a electric whisk, beat butter and sugar until light. Add in egg and beat until creamy.
- Sift flour, custard powder and baking powder into egg mixture. Beat lightly till just combined.
- Using your hand, knead lightly to form a dough. Wrap the dough and chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- Divide the custard filling into 20gm portion and pastry dough into 35gm each.
- Floured your hands, flatten a dough into flat and round circle. Place a custard ball in the middle of the flatten dough. Seal up the edges and roll into a a smooth ball.
- Place each ball into lightly floured mooncake mould (50gm). Press out onto lined baking sheet.
- Lightly egg wash and bake in preheated oven at 160min for 10 mins. Remove from oven and cool down for 10 mins. Egg wash again and bake for another 15 mins until golden brown.
- Cool down completely before storing in air-tight container. Best serve on subseqeunt days later. Store in room temperature for 3 days. Chill in fridge for up to 2 weeks.