It's been a long time I patronise this Japanese fast food restaurant Yoshinoya for its popular beef rice bowl. No more paying an expensive bowl of beef rice since it is so easy to whip up this dish at the home!
A tray karibu shabu bought at the supermarket
A super quick dish ready in mins!
Serve the cooked beef with gravy topped with a poached egg, nori & Shichimi Togarashi
Recipe ref : travellingfoodies.com
- 400gm beef (karubi shabu)
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 300ml dashi stock (dissolve 1 sachet dashi granules in water)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp cooking sake
- Shichimi Togarashi
- Poached egg (optional)
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Saute beef slices for 1 min until brown. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add sliced onions and saute until soften, about 2 mins. Add seasoning mixture and mix thoroughly with onions.
- Return beef to the pan and stir well with the onion mixture. Add dashi stock, cover and simmer for 2 mins. Remove lid and stir-fry quickly for another 1 min. Adjust taste accordingly at this stage.
- Ladle cooked beef and gravy over hot rice and serve with toppings.