This is another grilled chicken which is well received by the kids and adults. It taste smoky sweet with lots of spices flavour. Instead of grilling the whole chicken till cooked, it is lightly simmered in a blend of spices and herbs sauce. Thereafter the chicken is drained from the thickened gravy and grill in griddle pan (I've used Happy Call Pan) till charred and golden. Not too complicated to cook this dish, but just to take note the heat while grilling to prevent over charring....yah I almost burnt the whole chicken as I overlooked the timing ^0^""
- 1 chicken, split the back, crushed lightly to flatten it
- 2 lemongrass stick, crushed lightly
- 2 bay leaves
- 2cm blue ginger, crushed lightly
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste, mixed with 2 tbsp water, discard the seeds
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 tbsp dark sweet soy sauce
- 500ml water
- 6 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cm old ginger
- 2 cm yellow ginger
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Process spice ingredients in food processor till smooth.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a deep pan, sauté spice paste till fragrant.
- Add in lemongrass, bay leave, lime leaves and blue ginger and fry till fragrant.
- Add in chicken, flip occasionally, cook briefly for 8 mins.
- Add in water, kecap manis and bring to boil. Cook on medium heat till sauce thickens, flipping occasionally.
- Remove chicken from pan and reserved the gravy.
- To grill : Place chicken in Happy Call Pan, drizzle over some gravy. Lock pan and cook over medium heat till both sides are golden brown. Drizzle more gravy over the chicken after each time when flipping the pan.