These were actually baked during this year Chinese Lunar New Year for my family gathering :) I've baked two butter cakes one using egg separation method (the famous Mrs Ngsks's recipe) and there other whole egg method (Topo Map Love Cake). So which cake was more well-recieved? hahaha actually no winner or loser for this question :D Those whom prefer fluffier and soft texture liked the Anka & Charcoal Butter Cake, whereas those prefer firmer cake crumbs liked the Topo Map Love Cake. Anyway all the cakes were finished by everyone so I guessed both cakes taste equally good :D
Modified from Mrs Ngsks Vanilla Butter Cake
- 250gm salted butter
- 200gm eggs, no shell (4 large eggs)
- 50gm + 150gm sugar
- 200gm self raising flour, sifted
- 60ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp charcoal powder
- 1 tsp anka powder + few drops of red coloring
- Preheat oven at 160 deg cel. Prepare a 7 inch square pan. Line the base and grease the sides (greasing helps the cake’s sides to rise well)
- Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a medium sized bowl. Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 50gm sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
- Cream butter and 150gm sugar until pale and fluffy. Put in vanilla paste and and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Put in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Put in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in balance of flour.
- Divide egg yolk batter into 2 equal portions. Add charcoal powder into one portion and anka powder with red coloring into another portion. Fold well.
- Divide beaten egg white into 2 equal portions and fold into the charcoal batter and anka batter respectively.
- Spread a portion of anka batter onto the cake pan, follow by the charcoal batter. Repeat with another anka batter and finish with the charcoal batter on the top layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and invert to cool completely before unmoulding.