Oh my what a distorted loaf! hahaha But not be fooled by its appearance :D I've packed the dough too tight into my 9" x 5" loaf pan, did not give enough allowance for it to puff up during the baking time, resulting the outlook of this pull-apart bread :D :D I rested the dough overnight in the fridge and proofed for another hour the next morning, just in time to serve as our breakfast! It is just an irresistible bread! Crunchy crust with a soft texture and a sticky chewy base! hehehe and yes I enjoyed the loaf by pulling it out layers by layers....Not able to see whether the texture turns tough the next day as the loaf was gone by end of the day!
No hand kneading require! This is my first time trying out stirring method for bread making. No kneading for 10 mins or more to reach window pane stage as per normal bread making! It looks rather shaggy in appearance but after kneading in another 1 tbsp bread flour after 1st round of proofing, it actually looks better (I did not manage to take any pics on that).
Stacks of wonder!
- 375gm bread flour
- 60gm sugar
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60gm unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
Filling : 180gm sugar, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 60gm melted butter
- In a saucepan, melt butter together with milk. Remove from heat and add water and vanilla.
- Combine flour, sugar, yeast & salt in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the warm milk mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a spatula.
- Add beaten eggs and stir the mixture until the eggs are incorporated into the batter.
- Keep stirring with a wooden spatula for about 2 mins until it forms into a dough. The mixture will be sticky but not wet. (do not attempt to add more flour!)
- Cover the bowl with a clean towel and proof in a warm place for 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- After 1st proofing, deflate the dough and knead in 1-2 tbsp flour till smooth. At this point of time, I cling wrapped the dough and chill in fridge overnight. If not just proceed to step (9).
- Take out the chilled dough and rest for 30 mins. Whisk together sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg filling.
- Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough to about 12" tall and 20" long.
- Brush melted butter all over the dough. (I left with 2 tbsp) Sprinkle all of the sugar cinnamon mixture over.
- Slice the dough vertically into 6 equal strips. Stack the strips on top of one another and slice the stack into 6 equal slices once again.
- Layer the dough squares into a greased and floured 9" x 5" loaf pan (I used a non-stick pan). Drizzle the remaining melted butter. Proof in a warm place for another 45-60mins until double in in size.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35mins until golden brown (tent the surface with a piece of foil if it browns to fast). Remove from oven and rest for 5 mins. Carefully invert the loaf on clean plate, right side up. Serve warm.