Yam balls 芋圆 is one of a popular dessert in Taiwan. I yet to travel to Taiwan to taste the authentic 九份芋圓, I just get to know this famous dessert from Facebook Baking Wonderland! :) If yam is replaced with sweet potato it will known as 地瓜圆. Unlike the normal glutinous rice balls which is chewy but slightly sticky, this little dessert yam/sweet potato balls are more chewy without the stickiness and full of yam flavours :)
I know I won't be making this very often as it requires peeling, dicing, steaming, kneading, shaping and finally boiling hahaha quite time consuming for the whole process. Therefore I've made quite a huge quantity at one go and freeze them into portions after the shaping process :) Yes I've cooked and tasted the frosted one, as good as freshly made, taste and texture are not compromised after the freezing process :)
Yam Balls 芋圆
- 500gm yam / purple sweet potato* / orange sweet potato
- 200gm tapioca starch
- 50gm potato starch
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp sugar
* purple sweet potato has a drier texture, use only 150gm tapioca starch, 50gm potato starch & 80ml -100ml water..
- Peel yam and cut into small cubes. Steam over preheated steamer for 30mins until soft.
- Mash yam whilst is still hot. Transfer mashed yam into a mixing bowl. Add in both flour immediately and mix into a rough dough. Add in sugar. Knead the mixture, adding water in between, into a smooth and pliable dough. The dough should not break or crack when rolling out into ropes.
- Roll out dough into long robes. (you can divide it into portions if you do not have a large working surface). Cut into small cubes. Dust some extra potato starch over the cubes to coat each of them evenly to prevent sticking. (at this point of time, you can pack them in portions and freeze it if necessary)
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Drop in yam balls. The yam balls are cooked through when it floats to the surface.
- Drain away water and rinse with cold water several times.
- Serve immediately with your favourite sweet soup.
Green Bean, White Fungus & Barley Sweet Soup
- 100gm green beans
- 50gm barley
- 30gm white fungus
- 4 blades pandan leaves, knotted
- rock sugar to taste
- Soak white fungus in water till softened. Trim away tough base and tear into small pieces.
- Rinse green beans and barley thoroughly.
- Place all the ingredients, except rock sugar, into a pot filled with 2.5L water. Bring to boil. Lower heat and cook for 1 hour or until the beans are softened to your liking. Add in rock sugar to taste.
- Serve warm or chilled with yam balls.