A gorgeous looking cake baked by Happy Home Baking blog. Though my cake does not looked as beautiful as her but this does not affect the taste of the cake! light & tasty fruit pastry cake!...
I did not thaw the frozen cranberries enough thus the liquid seeped onto the cake -.-" does not look so bad after dusting with some icing sugar :P Cake standing tall as I used a 8" cake pan instead of the suggested 9" size. The use of top flour also result the cake texture to be very light & fluffy.
- 100g butter, soften at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar (I used 180g)
- 50g sour cream (I used natural yogurt)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 210g plain flour (I used top flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 500g fruits* tossed with 2 tablespoon sugar*
(You can use strawberries, blueberries, peaches, bananas, oranges, pears, apples, pineapple, or any other fruits that are not too juicy. I omitted the sugar and used as much fruits, either fresh or canned, as needed to fill the top of the cake)
- Wash, cut (chunks or slices, as desired) and drain fruits, toss with sugar (if desired) and set aside. (if using canned fruits, wash the fruits to remove the syrup, omit the sugar).
- Grease (with butter) and flour the side of a 9" round pan or a 8" square pan and line the base with parchment paper. (I used a 8" round pan)
- With an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and sour cream (or yogurt) till light and fluffy.
- Dribble in the eggs gradually and beat till incorporated in the batter. (The mixture may appear slightly curdled.)
- Add vanilla extract and zest. Mix to combine.
- Sieve over flour and baking powder and mix till smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Arrange fruits on top, don’t press the fruits down into the batter. Decorate the fruits as desired.
- Bake in pre-heat oven at 180degC for 60-70 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake. Cover the top with foil in the last 15 mins of baking to prevent the top from getting over browned.
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for about 5~10 mins. Unmold and transfer to wire rack to let cool completely. Dust the cake with some icing sugar if desired.