- 1 black chicken, 乌鸡
- 20gm dang shen，党参
- 20gm yu zhu，玉竹
- 5gm huang qi，黄芪
- 5gm dang gui，当归
- 5gm gan cao，甘草
- 2 large red dates，红枣
- 20gm wolfberries，枸杞子
- salt to taste
- Prepare a large pot of water and bring it to boil. Meanwhile prepare the chicken and herbs.
- Cut off the head of the chicken and trim away claws. Rinse thoroughly inside out.
- Rinse all the herbs except wolfberries.
- Place the chicken into a porcelain pot with cover. Put all the herbs, except red dates and wolfberries, into the pot with the chicken.
- Add in 5 cups hot water into the chicken mixture. Cover.
- Place a steaming rack into the large pot of boiling water. Carefully place in the porcelain pot. Cover the large pot and double-boil the chicken over medium heat for 3 hours. Top up hot water in the large pot if water reduce.
- After 2.5 hours, add in the red dates and wolfberries and continue to cook for another 30 mins.
- Add salt to taste and serve hot.