If you know dried shrimp and dried cuttlefish are usually added in the traditional Hakka yam abacus seeds. Today I omitted both of the ingredients from my dish and replace with dried white baits! No fix rule on what ingredients you should omit/add as long as it suit your own palate! Check out my other recipes like the traditional Hakka Yam Abacus Seeds and unique Chinese Yam Abacus Seeds!
- 300gm pumpkin puree
- 250gm tapioca flour
- 50gm rice flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 15gm dried white baits, rinsed
- 30gm dried shiitake mushroom, soaked & sliced
- 10gm black fungus, soaked and sliced
- 150gm minced pork (lightly marinate with 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp light soy sauce, dash of pepper, cornflour)
- 2 tsp chicken seasoning powder
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp Chinese wine
- 100ml water
- Combine flour in a mixing bowl. Steam pumpkin till soften and mash. Add in mashed pumpkin into flour mixture while its still hot. Add in oil and gather the mixture together with a fork till a rough dough is formed. Knead the dough till soft and pliable. Cover the dough with a damp kitchen towel. Rest the dough for 30 mins.
- Pinch a small portion of dough approx. 5-8gm, roll round and make a indention to resemble abacas. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in pumpkin abacus seeds (note: I used a mixture of 500gm yam pumpkin abacus seeds. Balance uncooked portion can be freeze) and cook till they floated to the surface. Drain well and place them into a bowl. Drizzle in some oil and toss gently.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok. Add in white baits and mushroom and fry till lightly brown. Add in garlic and shallots saute till fragrant.
- Add in marinated minced pork, use the spatula to break up the pork and fry till pork is browned. Toss in softened black fungus and mix well.
- Add in pumpkin/yam abacus seeds. Drizzle in seasoning gradually and toss to mix well till mixture are heated through. Dish up and serve.