This is one of my favourite Malay noodle dish of all! With the help of instant Mee Soto instant paste, this meal is simple to assemble! My pantry is never short of herbs and spices, therefore it is fast to prepare a simple chicken stock base before adding in the spice paste. Oooh do not miss out the side dish, Begedil! Its so sinfully tasty!
Begedil (Deep Fried Potato Patty)
Ingredient (10 pcs)
- 700gm Brastagi Potato
- 2 sprig spring onion, chopped
- 1 sprig coriander, chopped
- 50gm fried shallots
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 small beaten egg
- Peel and slice potatoes into thick slices. Heat some oil in pan, pan fried potatoes till both sides are lightly brown and cooked through. Drain well and place into a mixing bowl. Mash the fried potatoes.
- Add spring onion, coriander, shallots, salt & pepper into the mashed potatoes. Mix well.
- Scoop up some mashed potatoes and shape them into compact and thick patty form.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan. Dip the begedil into beaten eggs, drop into hot oil and fry till golden brown. Drain and serve.
- 4 whole kampong chicken leg
- 2 litres water
- 3 cardamons
- 5 cloves
- 2 star anises
- 2 lemon grass, bruised
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 250gm Mee Soto instant paste
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in chicken leg and blanch for one minute. Drain away water. Fill the pot with 2 litres water and add in spices. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken leg. Cool down and shred the chicken meat. Return the bones to the stock and simmer till water reduce to about 1.2L.
- Add in Mee Soto paste and stir well to dissolve. Continue to simmer for about 10 mins.
To serve : Place blanched rice vermicelli into serving bowl. Ladle in hot spice chicken soup, garnish with shredded chicken meat, hardboiled egg, beansprouts, fried shallots, chilli and coriander. Serve immediately with begedil at the sides.
- soaked rice vermicelli, blanched
- bean sprouts, blanched
- hardboiled eggs
- fried shallots
- chopped coriander
- chopped red chilli
- shredded chicken meat