Finally I have cleared the big pack of frozen prawn shells in my limited freezer space. Simply love this hearty bowl of homemade prawn noodles! Simple rich and flavourful broth, not a dish to be consume daily though. Happy with my first attempt on cooking this prawn noodle, another dish which I'm able to prepare for my family gathering in the future. But now have to start collecting more prawn shells/heads first ^0^
Rich soup base made up of prawn shells, pork bones, anchovies, rock sugar and some seasoning.
Garnish with cooked prawns, pork slices, fish cakes, beansprouts, kangkong & fried shallots
Recipe ref : Annielicious Food
- 1 kg fresh prawns (plus extra prawn shells & heads I've kept in freezer)
- 2 pcs pork big bones, blanched in boiling water and rinsed well
- 30gm dried anchovies
- 35gm rock sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp chicken stock granules
- 50gm fried shallots
- 1.5L prawn broth
- 1.3L water
- cooked prawn meat from the 1kg prawn
- vermicelli and yellow noodles
- fish cakes
- lean pork, cooked & sliced
- fried shallots
- Boil 1.5L water in a pot, blanch the prawns till cooked. Remove the prawns and allow to cool down sufficiently before removing the shells and prawn head. Reserve the prawn broth.
- In a wok, add 5 tbsp oil. Fry all the prawn shells/head until fragrant.
- In a stock pot, add in fried prawn shells, pork bones, anchovies, rock sugar, prawn broth and water. Bring to boil and cook on high heat for 5 mins.
- Turn down heat to low and simmer for 20 mins.
- Add in fried shallots and continue to simmer on low heat for another 20 mins.
- Add in salt & chicken stock to taste.
- Discard all prawn shells, anchovies and pork bones and the soup is ready.
To assemble : Boil a pot of water, cook the noodles, beansprout and changing briefly. Drain well. Place them into a bowl. Add in cooked prawn meat, lean pork slices, fish cakes and ladle in the hot prawn soup. Garnish with fried shallots and serve immediately!