This Red Velvet Butter Cookie has a similar appearance just like the Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. The red cookie dough is rolled into balls and coated with icing sugar before baking resulting the crinkle appearance. I would love the chocolate version one but I simply can't resist the the red ones ^0^
Process of making the cookies : Amount of cream cheese is more than the butter used! One whole package (8oz) of cream cheese is needed in one batch recipe :D Oh cannot miss out the RED food colouring! Almost chicken out when trying to add in the colouring hahaha....in the end I only added 3/4 tbsp instead of 1 tbsp suggested by the recipe. The dough is rather sticky though it is well chilled, therefore it is best to re-chill again in the fridge after rolling to firm up the dough before coating with icing sugar. Preheat the oven well, take out the rolled cookie balls and coat with icing sugar and pop into the oven immdiately!
Though only 2 tbsp of cocoa powder is added into the dough, the taste of cocoa is detectable! Moist, cakey texture with crunchy sugar coating....thumbs up from by food tasters ^0^
Ingredient (approx. 30 cookies)
- 250gm plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200gm sugar
- 250gm cream cheese, softened
- 60gm butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tbsp red food colouring
- 60gm icing sugar
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a electric whisk, cream butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg till well combined. Beat in food colourings.
- Add in sugar and flour mixture and beat briefly till well incorporated. Do not overheat.
- Transfer dough into a clean plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Place icing sugar in a small bowl.
- Divide dough into 30 equal portions and roll each ball in icing sugar (or use a small ice-cream scoop). Place the coated dough onto a lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 15-20 min (depending on the size of the cookies) until firm. Cool completely on wire rack before storing in air-tight container for up to 3 days.
This post is linked to "Cook and Celebrate: Christmas 2014" organised by Cook & Celebrate Christmas 2014 hosted by Bake For Happy Kids, Eat Your Heart Out and Domestic Goddess Wannabe
This post is linked to "My Treasured Recipes #4 - Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas (Dec 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.