Ever since the starting of December school holidays, the kids have been waking up rather late. Me too also get the chance to laze in bed longer than usual :D Waking up late means breakfast/lunch will be served late too. While preparing a light breakfast and lunch for the kids (multi-tasking again hahaha...), I've made myself a simple classic French ham & cheese sandwich top with a fried egg known as Croque madame. Along with some healthy salad greens and fresh juice, this light and hearty brunch will last me till tea time!
Ingredient (1 serving)
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 slice black pepper ham
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 50gm mature cheddar, grated
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat grill to high and lightly toast the bread on both sides.
- Spread 1 tsp mustard over one side, then top with ham and cheese slice. Top with another slice of toasted bread. Spread the remaining mustard over the top of the bread, sprinkle grated cheese over. Grill the croque for another 3 mins, or until the cheese is bubbling and turning golden.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan and add a little oil. Crack in egg and gently fry to your liking.
- Transfer the toast onto a serving plate. Lift the egg onto the toast. Sprinkle salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with bed of salad greens on the side.