A light & tasty chowder, not overly creamy which my hubby gives thumbs up :) Initially am afraid the fish stock and clam broth will be very fishy as my hubby hates fishy smell! Luckily it turns out well and everyone enjoy this pot of wholesome & filling soup for lunch :)
A pot of empty clam shells, fresh clam meat & broth!
Recipe adapted from Periplus 'Classic Essential Soup'
- 1.5kg fresh clams, soaked & rinsed thoroughly b4 used
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 125gm back bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500gm potato, peeled & cubed
- 150gm carrots, peeled & cubed
- 1 1/4 cup fish stock
- 2 cups milk
- 100ml whipping cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place cleaned clams in a pot with 1 cup water. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 5mins until shells are opened. Discard unopened ones. Remove meat from shells. Strain clam broth and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot, add bacon and onions and cook until bacon is brown and onion is softened.
- Add in potatoes & carrots and mix evenly for a min.
- Add in 1 1/4 cup clam broth, fish stock & milk. Bring to boil. Lower heat, covered and simmer for 20min.
- Add in cream, clam meat & seasoning and mix evenly for a min. Serve.
Ingredients for Fish Stock
Homemade Fish Stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2L water
- 1.5kg fish bones, heads (use white fleshed fish, darker fleshed e.g. salmon will make stock greasy)
- 10 black pepper
- 1 bouquet garni (I use fresh thyme, parsley & dried bay leaves)
- Heat oil in a pot, add onions and cook on low heat for 8mins until soft.
- Add in water, fish bones, pepper & herbs. Bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25mins, frequently skimming any froth from the surface.
- Cool stock slightly and strain away ingredients. Cool and chill in fridge or use immediately.
A pot of natural collagen ^-^