Seldom cook red cabbage, the most I use them for salad. Find the recipe quite interesting and decide to give it a try and happens to find that Wendy also cooked this red cabbage!
Recipe source : Good Food Magazine Dec 2010 Issue
Also see Wendy (Table for 2) for her version!
- 600gm red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 green apples, peeled & coarsely grated
- 1 bay leaf (I omit this as I could not get it)
- 4 cloves
- 25gm butter
- 100ml apple cider vinegar
- 25gm light brown sugar
- handful of walnuts, toasted & chopped
- Put cabbage, apple, bay leaves, cloves & butter in a large pan. Cook & stir for 2-3 mins until the cabbage starts to soften.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5mins till the cabbage wilt. Depends on how soft you prefer the cabbage to be, you can increase the cooking time if you like.
- Add in vinegar and cook till the vinegar has almost completely reduced.
- Stir in sugar until it dissolves. Turn off heat. Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Serve warm along with grilled meat or seafood.