Can't believe it took me so long to attempt this super delicious steamed dumpling ie. Siew Mai 烧卖! So happy to see my kids chomping down the dumplings one after another, homemade ones is always the best! ^0^
It's really quick and simple to make these gems. I'm planning to make another batch to freeze so that my kids can enjoy this wholesome dumplings anytime they request for it. :D
Ingredient (approx. 22 pcs)
- 250gm fresh prawns, net wgt
- 300gm minced pork
- 4 water chestnuts, peeled
- 4 dried shiitake mushroom, softened
- 2 stalk spring onion
- round dumplings wrappers
- carrot slices for decoration
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp fried shallot oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Chop water chestnuts, mushroom and spring onion into cubes/pieces.
- After peeling and de-vein the prawns, rinse and pat dry with kitchen towel. Divide into 2 portions. Finely chop one portion until fine and sticky. Cut the other portion into small cubes.
- Combine minced pork, prawn paste and prawn cubes. Add in salt, sugar and pepper and mix well.
- Add in water chestnut, mushroom and spring onion.
- Finally add in fried shallot oil, sesame oil and cornflour. Stir the mixture until sticky.
- Cling wrap the bowl and chill in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- With clean and dry hands, place a piece of dumpling wrappers on your palm.
- Add a tbsp of meat filling in the centre. Wet the edge of the dumpling wrapper with water.
- Gently gather the edges to the centre to encase the filling. Press down the filling and smoothen the surface. Flatten the bottom and place it on a greased steaming tray. Place a slice of carrot over the top. Repeat steps till all filling are used up.
- Steam over high heat for 15 mins.