Revisiting this lemon bars recipe which my last attempt was 5 years ago! As I know that the fresh lemon juice will be sourish, I did not attempt to reduce the sugar at all. Rich buttery shortcrust base with tart and tangy lemon topping, it is so addictive that you will not be able to stop at one slice!
for the crust :
- 110gm unsalted butter
- 50gm sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 110gm plain flour
for the lemon topping :
- 200gm sugar
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice
- icing sugar, for dusting
- For the crust: Melt butter in a saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add the flour and mix just until incorporated. Press the dough evenly over the bottom of a lined 8-inch square pan. Bake in a preheated oven of 180 deg cel for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is well browned at the edges and lightly browned in center.
- For the lemon topping: Stir together the sugar and flour in a medium bowl until well mixed. Whisk in the eggs. Stir in the lemon zest and juice.
- When crust is ready, turn the oven down to 160 deg cel and pour in the filling. Bake for 20-25 mins until topping is puffed at the edges and no longer jiggles in the center. Cool completely in pan.
- When cool, transfer to cutting board and cut into 16 bars or desired size. Sieve icing sugar over bars just before serving.