Let's have something sinful today....Fried Chicken! It looked really crisp and golden aren't they? Can you believe it that they were baked in oven instead of deep frying in hot oil?!
The key ingredient is marinating the chicken pieces in buttermilk which attributes a tender and succulent texture. Coating with crushed cornflakes gives a golden hue to this oven fried chicken!
They are best served immediately after baking to enjoy its crisp while still hot. They will lose its crisp if left in room temperature for too long :D
- 2 cups buttermilk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp tabasco
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 large chicken, cut into 6 chunks
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, lemon juice, tabasco, onion, thyme, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Pat dry the chicken with paper towels and add to the bowl and toss to coat well. Cling wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 deg cel.
- In a shallow pan, mix the corn flakes, parmesan cheese, thyme and salt.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture and drip off any excess.
- Coat each piece of the chicken thoroughly in the corn flake mixture, pressing down firmly to ensure the dry mixture sticks to the chicken.
- Place the coated chicken on the wire rack over a lined baking sheet to catch any drippings.
- Bake for 45mins or until golden brown and cooked through.
I've forgotten to snap a picture on the inner section >.<..But I can tell you that they were really juicy and tender!
Brown Gravy for mashed potatoes....click here for recipe
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe