I'm supposedly to make a golden lava bun 流沙包, but it turned out looking like a normal custard bun….arrgghhhhh Guess I've made some mistake somewhere?? I've used tapioca starch instead of potato starch, is this the reason that the buns turned out custardy instead of being lava state? Well have to attempt another batch to confirm this, but no I'm not remaking another batch yet as I've still have 12 portions of cooked filling in my freezer!!
Despite the outcome, overall I'm still happy with the taste of these steamed buns! Rich and flavorful custard filling encased in a soft and fluffy bun, taste so yummlicious that I've eaten 2 buns while is still warm :D
The filling….this is before freezing
Wrap in frozen filling and ready to be steamed after resting for another 30mins
The size before and after steaming…After steaming is still relatively small :D
Ingredient (18 portions)
- 125gm unsalted butter
- 30gm custard powder
- 60gm sugar
- 50gm evaporated milk
- 10gm potato starch
- 5gm corn flour
- 5 salted egg yolks, cooked
- Mash cooked salted egg yolks till fine.
- Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Beat in custard powder, flour and milk evenly.
- Beat in mashed egg yolk till well combined.
- Steam the mixture for 10 mins. Cool completely before dividing into 18 equal portions. Freeze till firm before using.
Ingredient (6 buns)
- 150gm Hong Kong flour, 香港水仙面粉
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp double action baking powder
- 80gm milk
- 15gm sugar
- pinch of salt
- 10gm shortening
- Combine flour, yeast, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add in milk and combine into a rough dough.
- Add in shortening and knead till dough is smooth and pliable.
- Cover with damp cloth and rest for 30mins.
- Knead lightly and divide dough into 6 equal portions, approx 43gm each. Roll into rounds.
- Flatten each dough into a flat disc and wrap with a portion of frozen filling. Seal the seam tightly and place on a paper liner. Cover and rest for another 30mins.
- Steam in preheated steamer for 4 mins till cooked.
- Serve immediately.
Yum Cha Time!