Pavlova is one of the dessert which I'm been planning to make for a very long time! It is actually a meringue based dessert, usually topped with kiwi, strawberry and passionfruit. It has a crunchy crust with a light and marshmallow-like centre. With only egg whites and loads of sugar to create a pillowy meringue, this is definitely a ultra sweet dessert :D But the sourish passionfruit pulp and pomegranate molasses managed to balance out the sweetness. What a wonderful and delighting dessert to start this new year! ^0^
Pavlova before baking….
Recipe source : Nigella Christmas
Ingredient (8 slices)
For the base
- 4 egg whites
- 200gm white sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
For the topping :
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 5 passionfruit
- 10 canned lychees
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- pomegranate molasses
- Preheat oven to 180 deg cel. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and draw a rough 8" circle on it.
- Using a electric whisk, beat egg whites until soft peak form. Add in sugar gradually and continue to beat till meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Sprinkle the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla paste over the egg whites and gently fold in lightly with a metal spoon.
- Scoop the meringue onto the parchment paper within the circle and using a spatula to smooth the top and sides.
- Reduce oven heat to 130 deg cel and place in the baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off heat and leave to cool completely inside the oven. Remove parchment paper and placed the cooled meringue disc on a serving plate.
- Meanwhile cut passinfruit into half, scoop out pulp and juice into a bowl. Tear the lychees into pieces and drop into the passion fruit pulp. Stir in pomegranate seeds.
- Whip the cream till it thickens and still slightly soft. Pile on top of the meringue and spread it out.
- Dollop the cream-topped pavlova with the passionfruit mixture and drizzle with some pomegranate molasses. Slice and serve.