Can't get enough of yam?! hehehe I purposely buy extra yam to make this yam abacus dish which I've been craving for very long time! Based on Honey Bee Sweets recipe, I further improvise on the cooking method and seasoning added :D I brought some to my sister for her lunch and I actually learnt a few techniques from her mother-in-law whom cook a very yummylicious hakka yam abacus! She told me to rinse the cooked yam abacus to create a soft and springy texture which I did prior to her guidance! Furthermore she suggested to steam the raw yam abacus rather than boiling it!! hmmm will try this method the next attempt to see the difference :D
- 250gm peeled yam
- 80gm tapioca flour
- pinch of salt
- Steam yam over preheated steamer until soft. Transfer hot yam into a large mixing bowl together with the salt
- Add in tapioca flour while the yam is still hot. Knead together until it forms a soft pliable dough.
- Roll into a long log and cut into chunks.
- Roll the chunks into round balls. Use your thumb to make a indentation in the middle.
- Cover and rest the yam balls for 10mins. Meanwhile bring a pot of water to rolling boil.
- Drop in yam balls and cook till it floats. Drain away hot water and rinse with cold tap water. Drizzle over some sesame oil to coat it evenly. Set aside.
Rest of the ingredients :
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 150gm minced pork (marinate with 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp light soy sauce and dash of pepper)
- 5 pieces dried shitake mushroom, soaked & sliced (retain liquid)
- 40gm dried squid, rinse and cut thinly
- 5 medium dried black fungus, soaked and sliced
- 3 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked (retain liquid)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/3 tsp five-spice powder
- 1/3 tsp white pepper
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok over medium fire. Add garlic and shallots and saute till fragrant.
- Add in dried shrimp and squid and fry for another min.
- Add in minced pork and cook till opaque.
- Add in dried mushroom and cook for a few minutes. Toss in black fungus.
- Add in yam abacus, reserved liquid and seasoning and mix evenly.
- Dish up and serve warm.