Tomato Soup with Frozen Tofu & Prawns
My first encounter with frozen tofu was from my mother-in-law. I was so amaze by its texture when I first tasted it! :D After frozen the pack of firm tofu, the moisture dehydrated causing the appearance of layers in the tofu. It tasted great as the layers enable it to absorb all the flavourful gravy in any dishes! Instead of the usual soft texture of the tofu, it turns out chewy and springy too...can you visualize it? Try it today and be amaze by this frozen tofu too! :D
Before & after freezing a pack of chinese tofu. Do not attempt to use silken tofu as it may turn out into a messy mass after thawing and cooking!
- 40gm spring onion
- 20gm sliced ginger
- 150gm shimeiji mushroom
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 blocks chinese tofu (frozen one block in advance, need not thaw prior to use)
- 250gm prawns, shelled & deveined (marinated lightly with salt & pepper)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut tofu into thick chunks, set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp spoon oil in a medium pot. Add spring onion & ginger, saute till fragrant.
- Add in mushroom and stir fry for 1 min.
- Add in sliced tomato and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Add in water and stock cube and bring to boil. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Add in tofu and bring to boil again. Add in prawns and cook till prawn turn pink, do not over boil it. Add in salt & pepper to taste if necessary.
- Turn off heat and drizzle in some sesame oil. Serve!