This is my first time exploring bread using different method. Previously I only does recipe on direct dough. As I read more on bread baking, then I know there are 中种，汤种，老面种 etc....This particular wholemeal walnut roll is made with 中种. Not sure whether I measure the wrong liquid amount, the main dough is very sticky. After adding in the starter dough, is still very sticky though I've kneaded for 10mins >.< As I do not want to waste the ingredients I continue with the rest of the process. Luckily the bread rolls turn out alright despite some hiccups in the process!
Recipe adapted from 超简单面包精选
Ingredient (makes 5 rolls)
Starter Dough (中种面团)
- 105gm bread flour
- 2gm instant yeast
- 60gm iced water
- 50gm wholemeal flour
- 5gm milk powder
- 10gm sugar
- 2gm salt
- 1gm instant yeast
- 40gm iced water
- 10gm unsalted butter, softened
- 30gm raisins
- 30gm chopped walnuts
- Combine ingredient for starter dough and knead till smooth. Wrap up and proof for 60mins.
- For main dough : Combine all ingredients, except butter, raisins & walnuts. Knead into a rough dough. Knead in proofed starter dough. Knead in butter until dough is smooth and non sticky to touch.
- Knead in raisins & walnuts. Rest dough for 20mins covered.
- Divide dough into 65gm each and roll into rounds, rest for another 15mins.
- Dust some bread flour over each dough and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 15mins until golden brown.