A slice of indulgence!!....A classic Italian dessert, though my way of making not as authentic which uses Expresso & Kahlua, it still taste as delicious. This will not be served to my boy 'cos of caffeine & alcohol! At least he got to munch on the balanced sponge fingers ^-^....
- 100ml strong brewed coffee
- 100ml Bailey's Cream
- 1/2 tbsp rum essence
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 6 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 30ml Bailey's Cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp gelatine (dissolve in 1/4 warm water)
- 250gm non-diary whipping cream
- 36 sponge fingers
- cocoa powder
- With a wire whisk, beat cheese with sugar till smooth, stir in gelatine mixture, vanilla essence and baileys.
- Using a electrical whisk, beat whipping cream till stiff peak formed.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream into cheese mixture. Pour the batter into the balanced whipped cream and fold till combined.
Assemble the cake...
One at a time, gently dip sponge fingers (sugar side) in the coffee syrup. Place each dipped sponge fingers over a lined pan. I used a 8.5" Tupperware square container. It fits 9 sponge fingers per row. The container able to fit in 2 rows nicely. Before placing in the sponge fingers , I lined the container with foil extending over the edge so that I am able to remove the cake easily later on.
Spoon over half of the cheese filling. Spread evenly and dust cocoa powder over the filling. Repeat with another layer of sponge fingers. Drizzle 1 tsp coffee syrup over each sponge finger and spoon over the remaining filling. Spread and smooth the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Just before serving, unmold the cake and dust the top with cocoa powder.