Its been a while I've bake bread! I've bookmarked lots of interesting bread recipe waiting for me to try them out. Since today is a public holiday, I've nothing better to do at home so I decided to mess around the kitchen. ^0^ This original recipe is known as Japanese Square White Bread (Shiroi Shoukupan). But mine turned out not that squarish, so I called it Japanese Snow White Bread instead hahaha...but I'm so loved with the super soft and fluffy texture!
The loaf is really really delicate so try to be more gentle when unmoulding it! Hmmm not exactly very snow white as I'm afraid the loaf will not be fully baked therefore I extended the baking time slightly, But overall I'm quite satisfied with my first attempt.
Can see the soft texture? It tasted so good that it can be eaten on its own without butter or jam!
- 250gm bread flour
- 50gm cake flour
- 4gm salt
- 4gm instant yeast
- 20gm corn syrup
- 235ml warm milk* (40 deg cel)
- 30gm unsalted butter, softened
Method (hand knead method)
- Combine corn syrup with warm milk measuring up to 235ml. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and yeast together. Mix evenly with a dough scraper.
- Pour in milk mixture and knead into a rough dough.
- Add in butter and knead for about 10 mins until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough into a greased bowl. Cover with damp cloth and proof about 50mins until double in bulk.
- After first proof, remove dough and punch down the dough to release air. Knead lightly and divide into 3 equal portions. Cover with damp cloth and rest for 15 mins.
- For each dough, roll out and fold the long sides towards the centre. Roll up into a short swiss roll. Place it into a pullman loaf pan. Cover the pan with damp cloth and proof the 2nd time in a warm area until it fills 80% of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg cel with a baking sheet inside.
- Dust the top of the dough with bread flour and cover with the lid. Place 4 layers of newspaper over the heated baking sheet and place the bread pan over.
- Reduce oven temperature to 160 deg cel and bake for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, place a sheet of aluminium foil over the pan, further reduce the temperature to 130 cel. Bake for another 30 mins.
- After baking, remove lid and drop the pan from a height to prevent bread from collapsing. Cool the loaf on a wire rack completely before slicing.