This is my challenging attempt to roast a duck using the halogen air fryer! The first thing I'm worrying is whether the whole duck can fit into the air fryer compartment. I try to get the smallest duck as possible and after removing its neck and bottom, it managed to fit in just nicely!!
220 deg cel for 15 mins
180 deg cel for 45mins
- 1 whole fresh duck, approx. 2.4kg
- 3 cups water
- 2 heap tbsp maltose
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 shallots, peeled
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tbsp fermented bean paste
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 3 shallots, grind into paste
- 5 cloves garlic, grind into paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Trim excess fats and rinse the duck thoroughly. Sprinkle 1 tbsp salt over the duck and spread evenly all over including the cavity. Leave aside for 20mins. Rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper. Insert a S hook through the neck of the duck.
- Combine water, maltose and vinegar in a wok. Bring to boil. Hold up the duck and bath with the boiling mixture several times. Hang the duck at a airy area and allow to dry for 2 hours.
- Bring the maltose mixture to boil again. Bath the duck for second time. Allow to dry for 1 hour. Combine the marination and mix well. Spread the mixture into the cavity of the duck. Transfer the whole duck into the fridge for at least 24 hours.
- Following day remove the duck from fridge and bring it to room temperature before roasting.
- Preheat air fryer at 200 deg cel for 5 mins. Roast the duck at 220 deg cel for 15 mins. Reduce temperature to 180 deg cel and continue to roast for another 45 mins till skin is crisp and golden brown. Cool down completely before slicing.