Bubur ChaCha is one of my favourite dessert of all! Love this colourful bowl of sweet fragrant coconut broth with homemade chewy tapioca pearl balls, taro, sweet potatoes and sago pearls! I always prefer to serve it chilled, so sinfully delicious which I do not mind putting on pounds. 😅😜
Homemade tapioca pearl balls using fresh pandan juice, bluepea flower juice and cranberry puree. It is an easy to job just to add artificial food colouring into dough. But I prefer to make it au natural which takes a little effort to extract the natural food colours from plants and fruits.
(A) Tapioca Pearl Balls
- 100gm tapioca flour
- 60-80gm boiling liquid (pandan juice, bluepea flower or cranberry puree)
- 2 tbsp fine sugar
- Add flour into mixing bowl. Pour in hot boiling liquid. Use a spatula, quickly mix the boiling liquid and flour. Knead till dough is soft and pliable.
- Cut the dough into long strips. Roll them into long tubes and snip it diagonally or small cubes.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Add in cut dough and cook until they float onto the surface.
- Drain the cooked tapioca pearl balls and pour them into a bowl. Add in fine sugar and toss quickly with a spoon. Set aside to cool down. Repeat the process with other coloured dough.
- 300gm taro, peeled and diced into 1 cm cube
- 300gm sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1 cm cube
- 50gm sago pearls
- 200ml Ayam brand coconut milk
- 60gm sugar
- 4 blades pandan leaves, knotted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a small pot, add water and bring to boil. Add in sago pearls and cook until almost transparent. Drain and rinse thoroughly and pour the sago pearls into a bowl with some water. Set aside.
- Add 1.2 litre water in a medium pot. Add in pandan leaves. Bring to boil. Add in cubed taro and cook for 10 mins.
- Add in cube sweet potatoes and cook till tender. Add more water if necessary.
- When the taro and sweet potatoes are softened, add in sago pearl, coconut milk and salt. Do not let the mixture to boil.
- Pour in all the tapioca pearl balls with the sugar syrup and mix well. Add in sugar to taste.
- Cool down slightly before serving or serve chilled.