I love bittergourd but it seldom appears on our dining table as my kids are still not acceptable with the bitter taste. I miss eating 苦瓜焖排骨 Braised Pork Ribs with Bittergourd! Hope I can share this dish with you guys soon. Mostly likely the kids will reject the bittergourd therefore I decided to cook the soup version for them. Don't like the bittergourd itself, at least drink up the soup! ^0^
- 600gm bittergourd
- 500gm pork ribs
- 200gm carrots, sliced
- 1 bulb garlic
- 3 honey dates
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 whole chicken leg (approx. 500gm)
These steps seem redundant, but I hope that it will somehow reduce the bitterness of the bittergourd :P
- Slice bittergourd length into halves. Scrape away the seeds. Generously sprinkle some coarse salt and rub over the cavity of the gourd. Set aside for 10mins before rinsing it off cleanly. Slice into chunks. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in sliced bittergourd, boil for 1 min. Drain away water. Set aside.
- Blanch pork ribs in boiling water for 2 mins. Drain away water.
- Bring 2L of water to boil. Add in sliced bittergourd, pork ribs, carrots, garlic and honey dates.
- When the liquid return to boil, lower heat and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- While the soup is simmering, marinate the chicken leg with 2 tbsp Chinese wine and 1/2 tsp salt for 30mins.
- Add in chicken leg and tomatoes and continue to simmer for another 30mins. Add salt to taste.
This soup tasted awesome! So soothing and sweet (甘甜). My kids did not complain of the 'bitter' soup and finished their serving, of course leaving out the bittergourd. ^0^