Today I'm sharing a new method (hehehe for me is new , some of you may have tried it already :P) of preparing a sponge cake. The usual method of making a sponge cake is beating the eggs and sugar till ribbon stage, follow by folding in the flour and melted butter. This refreshing key lime sponge cake is made by using cooked dough method, ie. mixing the flour with hot melted butter to form a paste. Followed then the butter flour paste batter is folded into the egg batter (egg & sugar beaten till ribbon stage). Interesting isn't it? The end results? No cracks, no dome and the texture is light and moist! No picture of the freshly baked sponge cake as it was made in middle of the night....hahaha will update picture if I've bake it again next round.
Love the flat surface which is ideal for layering and decorating, no wasting of any crumbs.
Nice texture right?
Ingredient (one 7" round cake)
- 100gm cake flour
- 60gm butter
- 3 large eggs
- 100gm fine sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 100gm icing sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 whole lime zest
- Sift cake flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Place butter into a saucepan, dissolve over low heat. Immediately pour the hot butter into the flour, stir with a spatula until it forms a thick paste. Add in lime juice and zests and mix well to incorporate. Add in 1-2 tbsp spoon milk if dough is too dry. Dough should be fairly soft and not stiff. Set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar into a mixing bowl. Using a electric whisk, beat on high speed till ribbon stage. Egg batter should be thick and white and doubles in volume. Beat in vanilla.
- Scoop 1/3 of the egg batter and mix into the butter flour mixture and fold until smooth. Add in another 1/3 of the egg batter and mix well.
- Finally transfer the batter to the remaining egg mixture and fold lightly till smooth and well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into a lined 7" cake pan. Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 35 mins.
- Cool the cake in pan for 10 mins, before unmoulding and cool on wire rack completely before glazing.
- Place icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Add in 1 tbsp lime juice and stir to dissolve the sugar. Stir in another 1 tsp lime juice till glaze is thick.
- To glaze, gently spoon the icing glaze evenly over the cake and let it drip towards the edge. Sprinkle lime zest over and decorate with sliced lime if desired.