This is another popular cottony cake recipe over the blog sphere. The recipe uses cooked dough method with egg separation method plus water-bathed baked, the result indeed yields a really delicate and soft texture!
It is known to be a taboo to bake a chiffon base cake in a non-stick pan as it may collapsed after baking. Maybe the cooked dough method yields a better structure to the batter, my cake turned out beautifully raised without collapsing!
I've read a few recipes on cotton cake using water-bathe baking, some bakers uses various combination of temperature during the baking process. As my oven is rather tame when using water-bathe baking, therefore I uses 180 deg cel for 60mins from starting to end. So happy that the surface is evenly browned with no cracks! So if you wanna bake this cotton cake, know your oven on how well the heat distribution is before attempting or refer to more other related recipes.
- 100gm cake flour
- 70 salted butter
- 100gm condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks (large)
- 1 whole egg (large)
- 6 egg white (large), cold
- 100gm fine sugar
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
- Place butter into a saucepan, dissolved over low heat. Pour the hot melted butter into flour and quickly mix into a soft dough.
- Add in condensed milk and stir well to mix.
- Lightly beat the 6 egg yolks and one whole egg together. Add into condensed milk mixture and mix well using a hand whisk. Set aside.
- Place egg whites into a clean mixing bowl. Using a electric whisk, beat on high speed, adding in sugar gradually, till firm peak formed.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture and mix well. Pour the batter into the balanced meringue and fold gently to combine.
- Pour the batter into a 9" round cake pan*. Drop the pan gently on a working surface to remove any big air bubbles.
- Place the cake pan over a tray. Pour in hot water up to 1/3 of the cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 60mins until surface is golden brown. * (Please adjust temperature and duration according to your own oven!)
- Remove cake pan from the oven and drop the pan above the table top to prevent excessive shrinkage when cooled down.
- Cool the cake in pan for 10mins before unmoulding to cool completely. Best serve chilled.
Recipe ref : www.junzhiboke.com
* I've baked this condensed milk cotton cake with this newly bought pushpan which is leak-proofed & watertight! If you are using a normal cake pan with removable base, please wrap the bottom with foil to prevent water from seeping in.