I bet you have tasted the traditional Hakka Yam Abacus , wanna try this unconventional and absolutely beautiful purple abacus seeds made with purple Chinese yam 紫淮山 for a change?
This purple Chinese yam not commonly available in the wet market. Maybe next time I shall buy more and freeze?? Simply love the natural purple hue, furthermore this is an extremely nutritious food, especially for the kids!
It takes quite some effort to prepare this dish, but it is all worth-while!
Steam 淮山 Huai Shan till soft and mash while its still hot
Mix the hot mashed yam with tapioca flour, add in vegetable oil and knead till smooth
Shape the dough into small indented balls
Cook the rolled yam dough till floated, toss with oil and set aside for stir-frying
Side ingredients for stir-frying : garlic, shallots, dried mushroom, dried shrimps, black fungus and minced pork
Purple Chinese Yam Abacus Seeds
- 500gm fresh purple Chinese yam 紫淮山*, peel and slice (can be replaced with white Chinese yam)
- 200gm tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 20gm dried shrimp, soaked*
- 30gm dried shiitake mushroom, soaked & sliced*
- 20gm black fungus, soak & sliced
- 200gm minced pork (lightly marinate with 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp light soy sauce, dash of pepper, cornflour)
- 2 tsp chicken seasoning powder
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chinese wine
- 100ml water (include soaked liquid from shrimp and mushroom)
- Steam Chinese yam over boiling steamer for 20 mins until softened. Mash while its still hot.
- Combine the hot mashed Chinese yam with tapioca flour and salt. Knead into a soft dough (drizzle in tbsp of hot water if the dough is too dry). Cover the dough with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile shape the dough into small round balls. Lightly press into the centre to make a indent to resemble abacus seeds.
- Drop the rolled balls into boiling water and cook until all floated. Scoop up the abacus and toss with 1 tbsp of oil.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok. Saute garlic and shallot until fragrant.
- Add in dried shrimps and mushroom and fry for a minute.
- Add in minced pork, break up the minced with frying spatula and fry until its not pinkish.
- Add in black fungus and mix evenly.
- Add in all the seasoning and continue to fry for another 2 mins. Remove from heat and serve immediately.