Found a recipe just in time to clear some of the ingredients in my pantry! I never buy cereal/fruit bar off shelf as I find the cost really steep and loaded with too much sugar and artificial additives/flavourings. Homemade version is definitely healthier and more economical too. This buttery, sweet strawberry oat bar is a great idea to pack into kid's snack box or as a quick snack anytime of the day!
Spread oat crumbs mixture on the base of a pan. Spread over strawberry jam and layer sliced strawberries over. Cover with remaining oat crumbs mixture and press down lightly to adhere.
- 125gm unsalted butter
- 100gm light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 180gm plain flour
- 150gm rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup homemade strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced strawberries
- Using a electric whisk, cream butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Combine almonds, flour, rolled oats, baking soda and salt and mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat on low speed, in batches, until blended and crumbly. Do not over mix. Remove 1 1/4 cup of the oat mixture and set aside.
- Pour the remaining mixture into a lined 9" x 9" pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to evenly press the mixture into the pan.
- Spread the strawberry jam evenly over the crust and top with sliced strawberries. Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over and press lightly to adhere.
- Bake at 180 deg cel for 35 mins until the top is lightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.