I love blueberries in cakes/muffins as they so moreish and sweet after baking! Very minimal butter is used in the cake. With the addition of buttermilk, it makes this vanilla sponge cake very light and fluffy. Indeed a delightful berry cake to enjoy any time of the day!
Blueberries overload! ^0^ Notice the white specks on the cake? They are castor sugar which are sprinkled over the blueberries before baking.
- 60gm unsalted butter
- 120gm sugar + 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 125gm plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125ml buttermilk
- 150gm fresh blueberries
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using a electric whisk, beat butter and 120gm sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Using low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk. Beat until just combined.
- Pour batter into a lined cake pan. Spread out the batter and scatter the blueberries evenly over the surface. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the blueberries.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 30 mins or until golden brown. Cool in pan for 10mins. Unmould onto rack to cool completely.