I've not seen or eaten Pulut Tai Tai (Blue Glutinous Rice Cake) as it is uncommonly available here. It is a popular Nyonya snack which is served with some kaya spread (coconut egg jam). While searching for a good pulut to try on, I discover another awesome recipe.....kaya making in 10mins! Result is a simple and elegant snack with minimal effort in preparation ^0^
As you can see that certain section of the rice is not pressed compact enough :P I not have a proper heavy weight to press down the cake for several hours. I just make use of my heavy stone pounder to let it sit on top of the cake for one hour only thus the unevenness.
Soaked 'white' & 'blue' glutinous rice
steamed & mixed both parts together
Press the mixture firmly into pan. I do not have a “” (kek lapis legit press), my fondant smoother comes into handy instead! ^0^
sliced & served with Homemade Kaya!
Pulut Glutinous Rice Layer recipe ref : travelling foodie
Ingredients for 10-mins Kaya....castor sugar, gula melaka, egg yolks, coconut cream, pandan leaves
Creamy, smooth and very rich kaya ready in 10 mins! No more standing in front of the stove constantly stirring the jam for over 1 hour! Love it!
recipe ref : Kitchen Tigress
- 4 egg yolks
- 45gm fine sugar
- 45gm gula melaka
- 200ml thick coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 4 pandan leaves, washed & cut
- Place sugar, gula melaka, coconut milk, salt and pandan leaves into a saucepan. Cook over medium heat till it start to simmer. Turn off heat. Cool down slightly.
- Whisk egg yolk. Add in 4 tbsp of the warm coconut milk into the yolk, whisking at the same time.
- Pour all of the egg mixture into the remaining coconut milk. Over medium heat, cook the mixture till slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and continue stirring till mixture is thick enough to coat the spoon without dripping.
- Remove pandan leaves and transfer the kaya into a clean, dry container. Cool completely before covering. Chill in fridge for up to 1 week.