Ttoekbokki 辣炒年糕 is a popular Korean snack which is red and spicy. Not when I tried out this recipe, then I found out that this Goongjoong Ddukbokki had a longer history and was once a dish served in the royal court! You can read out more on the history of this dish in Wiki :D The Goongjoong Ddukbokki tasted sweet and savoury unlike the spicy version one which is definitely more kids friendly :D
Cooked rice cake toss in soy sauce seasoning
Marinated beef slices
Loads of greens and mushrooms
Recipe source : Kimchimari.com
- 450gm fresh rice cake
- marinade for rice cake : 1 tbsp apple lemon soy sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 200gm beef sirloin, slice thinly
- marinade for beef : 4 tbsp apple lemon soy sauce, 1 tbsp rice wine, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp honey, 2 garlic (minced), 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 40gm dried shitake mushroom, soaked and retained liquid
- 120gm cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 2 stalks spring onion, cut into sections
- toasted sesame seeds for garnishing
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in rice cake and cook for 3 minutes until they are soft all the way through.
- Drain away water. While it's still hot, add in marinade and toss well. Set aside.
- Marinade beef for at least 30mins.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add beef and sauté for 2 mins. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add in onion and sauté till fragrant.
- Add in shitake mushroom and stir fry briefly.
- Add in cabbage and carrot and reserved mushroom liquid. Cover pan and simmer for 3 mins till vegetables have softened.
- Toss in beef and seasoned rice cake and mix evenly. Fry for 5 mins until rice cake are heated through. If you prefer wetter rice cake , add in more mushroom liquid and adjust taste accordingly by adding more apple lemon soy sauce.
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately.