Our sweetie pie 4th Birthday!
Helpful brother helping her to slice the cake ^0^
All kids love doughnut, don't they? But I
seldom rarely indulged them in this rather unhealthy pastry :P One fine day I've just have this idea of baking a cake in doughnut shape and frost exactly like a doughnut! Thereafter I've started googling for further inspirations and discover a fantastic cream cheese frosting without adding butter and icing sugar! How good can that be! A healthier choice compare to the conventional cream cheese frosting which is loaded with butter and icing sugar :D
This is the 7" cake pan which I used to create this doughnut cake. As I've only have a single pan, I baked the batter in two batches. No washing the pan in between! I only used a kitchen bowl to clean of fthe crumbs after unmoulding the 1st cake. Follow then I greased and floured the pan again!
hehehe ignored the ugly appearance of the cake, it will be camouflaged by the frosting later ^0^ I've sandwiched the cake with some of the cream cheese frosting and berry jam.
Slowly spoon the cream cheese frosting over the cake and sprinkle some confetti over...
Tadah!….A doughnut cake is formed! Doesn't it looks like the real thing?!
Yummylicious chocolate cake…very soft and fluffy texture along with the light tasty cream cheese frosting.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Recipe source : Tested & Tasted
Ingredient (makes two 7"round cake)
- 70gm boiling water
- 25gm cocoa powder
- 20gm sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 15gm sugar
- 50gm oil
- 50gm cake flour
- 3 egg whites
- 50gm sugar
- Grease a 7" round hollow cake mould with butter and floured evenly with some cocoa powder. Pat the pan lightly to remove excess powder. Set aside.
- Sift cocoa powder and sugar into a bowl. Add in boiling water and stir well. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale. Add in oil and cocoa mixture and mix well.
- Fold in cake flour until combined.
- In a clean dry bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Add in 50gm sugar gradually and whisk until stiff peak formed.
- Scoop 1/3 egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and mixed well, then pour this into the balanced egg white foam and mix well.
- Pour batter into mould and tap the pan lightly on a hard surface to remove excess air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 15-18 mins.
- Cool cake in pan for 10mins before unmoulding.
- Cool completely before frosting.
A simple roux made with flour, sugar & milk Combine the prepared roux with the cream cheese and beat till well combined and ready to use!
Extra Creamy Cooked Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe source : thekitchn.com
- 100gm cream cheese, softened
- 15gm plain flour
- 75gm sugar
- pinch of salt
- 100ml milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- Whip the cream cheese until smooth and silky. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar and salt together in a small saucepan. Turn the heat to medium and slowly add in milk, whisking constantly to create a smooth paste.
- Simmer for 1 min, then turn off heat.
- Scrape the paste into a mixing bowl. Beat the mixture for 10mins or until light and no longer piping hot.
- Add in whipped cream cheese and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Use it immediately for store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Whip again briefly before using.