If not for this Asian Food Fest Thailand, I've will never thought of making this Thai sweet chilli sauce! Moreover ready bottled one is always easy to find in all supermarket :D I love Thai sweet chilli sauce and there is always a bottle sitting in the fridge at all time :D Now I know what to do if I ever run out of this sauce as this is so simple to make from scratch!
Simple ingredients to make the sauce! Distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, red chilli and garlic
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 red chillies, deseeded (retained the seeds if you prefer more spicy sauce)
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- Puree all ingredients, except the last two, until fine.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly and the garlic-pepper bits begin to soften, for about 3 minutes.
- Dissolve cornflour in 2 tbsp water. Stir in cornflour liquid into the sauce and cook till thickens.
- Cool completely before storing in a cleaned glass jar and refrigerate.
Looks tempting isn't it??