Spicy spicy! That's what my sister commented >.< hehehe am lazy to remove the seeds of the chillies thus these otah are slightly over heated. Having too much spicy food in one row has its consequences....sore throat hahaha...wait till my throat is fully recovered then I will spice up in the kitchen again!
Daun Kaduk (Wild Betal Leaves)
- 10 pieces of banana leaves, each about 18 x 20 cm
- 10 toothpicks with pointed ends
- 20-30 daun kaduk (daon kadok). choose the younger leaves which are more pungent
For the custard paste
- 500gm of fresh fish meat, ikan kurau or other white fish varieties, cut into small chunks
- 250ml thick coconut milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 heaped tbsp of rice flour
- 6-8 daun limau purut, finely julienned (I find it easier to use scissors to snip)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the rempah
- 15 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 5-6 fresh red chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 10-12 dried red chilies, soaked in hot water until soften and drained
- thumb-length knob of lengkwas (galangal), peeled and sliced finely
- thumb-length knob of kunyit (tumeric), peeled and sliced finely
- 3 batons seray (lemongrass), lower white portion only, sliced finely
- 2 tsp of toasted belacan, crushed coarsely into powder
- To prepare rempah, pound or blend all the ingredients into a fine paste.
- To prepare otak filling, place all custard paste ingredients and rempah in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cover the mixing bowl with clingfilm and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- To prepare banana leaves, carefully wilt the cut out pieces of banana leaves over a gentle flame or in a wok of boiling water to soften them. Pat dry and set aside.
- To wrap, first place a piece of banana leaf over a flat surface.
- Place 2-3 pieces of daon kadok as the base and scoop generously 2-3 tbsp of marinated otak filling over the leaves.
- Bring up the two longer sides of the banana leaf and with the other hand, fold over the shorter end of the piece to meet in the centre and repeat for the other side. Fasten parcel with a toothpick.
- Repeat procedure until all the ingredients and banana leaves are used up.
- Steam the otak parcels over rapidly boiling water and high heat for 10-15 min.
- Serve immediately with rice, bread or on its own as a snack.