Who does not love a plate packed with beautiful & tasty braised chicken, egg & tofu?? This is such a comfort food on busy days when am feeling tired to churn out too many dishes on the table ^.^ One dish settle all! hehehe...and my family loves it too! Especially the kids love to drizzle the braising sauce over their rice/porridge :D
- 1 whole chicken, trim and rinse
- 10gm cinnamon stick, 桂皮
- 10gm licorice, 甘草
- 8gm star anise, 八角
- 5gm Sichuan pepper, 花椒
- 1 pc black cardamon, 草果
- 5 + 6 slices ginger
- 200gm dark soy sauce
- 80gm light soy sauce
- 50gm rose wine, 玫瑰露酒
- 2 tbsp salt
- 100gm rock sugar
- 2 stalk spring onions
- 2 blocks firm tofu
- 4 hardboiled egg, shelled
- Place licorice & sichuan pepper into a muslin bag. Fill a pot with 2L water, add in the bag of spices together with cinnamon stick, licorice and black cardamon. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add in dark & light soy sauce, rose wine, salt & rock sugar. Bring to boil.
- Stuff ginger and spring onions into the cavity of the chicken. Submerge the chicken into the boiling spiced stock. Bring back the liquid to boiling stage and cook the chicken on medium heat for 10mins. Gently turn the chicken occasionally.
- Turn off heat and cover the pot, let the residue heat to cook through the chicken, for 1/2 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the liquid and place on a casserole. Brush some sesame oil all over the chicken and leave to cool completely before slicing. (do not attempt to slice the chicken while is still hot, as you will not able to get a clean cut)
- Bring the liquid to boil and add in firm tofu and hardboiled egg. Simmer for 2 minutes. Let the tofu and egg steep in the liquid while waiting for the chicken to cool down.
- Chop up chicken into bite size. Slice braised tofu and egg. Drizzle over braised sauce* and serve.
Braised sauce : Ladle 1 cup of the braised sauce into a saucepan. Add in cornstarch solution (1/2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp water) and cook till gravy is thickened.
Note : remaining braised sauce can be chilled till next day for further braising