Quick and simple lunch for my two kiddos. Effortlessly for me too which I need not spend much time in the hot kitchen! I simply love frozen puff pastry! Its so versatile which you can make it into a light meal by spreading over your favourite toppings and then pop it into the oven and bake till golden brown. I've made a simple tomato sauce for the base instead of using canned ones which are usually high in sodium. Homemade fast food can be healthy and of course delicious too!
Cherry Tomato Sauce
- 400gm cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse cherry tomato and cut into halves. Toss the tomatoes with seasoning and olive oil.
- Spread the tomatoes onto a lined baking tray. Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 25 mins. Cool completely and blend till smooth.
Sardines Puff Pastry Tart
- 8 pieces sardines halves in extra virgin olive oil
- 5 stalks fine asparagus
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- egg for glazing
- Place puff pastry on a lined baking sheet. Use a knife to scour a border, about an inch inside from the edge of the puff pastry. Use a fork to pierce inside all over the tart.
- Spread a layer of cherry tomatoes sauce over the tart and arrange sardines and asparagus on it.
- Glaze the border with egg wash. Bake in preheated oven at 220 deg for 25 mins until golden brown. Serve warm.