hahaha can't keep my mind off this kuih when I found this recipe! Thanks Wendy for her 'agak agak' recipe which I adore, a 6" kuih just nice for my small family! To confess....I cheat a bit hehehe. My pandan juice is not thick enough, is actually some balanced which I've freezed in the chiller for quite some time :P So I mix in some pandan paste for extra flavours and color :)
This little kuih is so addicting and good! I loves the custard like soft top layer which literally melts in the mouth :) My boy first time taste this kuih and had 2 at a go! :)
Compact cooked rice and custard...
covered and steam on low heat till set...
Recipe adapted from Table for 2...
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 2 tbsp coconut thick milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- enough water to just cover the rice, abt 3mm high
- 120gm beaten eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk + panda juice
- 100gm sugar
- 1 tsp pandan paste (my pandan juice not thick enough so I add extra pandan paste)
- 1 heap tbsp plain flour
- Rinse and soak rice for at least 2 hours. Drain. Put rice in a pan. Mix in coconut milk and salt. Add enough water to reach the surface of the rice. Steam rice on high for 25mins until rice turns translucent.
- Remove from heat and immediately fluff rice with a fork. Place rice in a 6" square pan. Level and press rice to compact it. Return compacted rice in pan to steamer and steam until custard is ready.
- Mix all ingredients B and cook in a heavy saucepan on low heat, stirring slowly all the time until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Pour the custard over rice and steam over low heat for 25 minutes until set.
- Cool completely before cutting into pieces.