Cute & healthy bowl of soupy Mee Hoon Kueh made with pumpkin puree!
I'm trying very hard not to distort the cut-outs as the dough is really soft and stretchy!
You can add any garnishes as desired. I've added an egg, pork fillet, baby choy sum, fishcake, fried anchovies and fried shallots in a simple anchovy broth.
- 200gm pumpkin puree
- 400gm plain flour
- 3 tbsp corn oil
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Combine flour, oil, salt with pumpkin puree while is still hot. Add in tbsp of water and gather the mixture together to form a dough.
- Knead lightly for 3 mins. Mixture will be slightly sticky but manageable. Cover and damp kitchen towel and rest for 30 mins.
- Knead again till dough is smooth and soft. Cover and rest for another 30mins. Divide the dough into 2 portions, cling wrap and store in air-tight container in fridge if not using it on the same day.
Ikan Bilis (Anchovy) Soup Base
- 100gm dried anchovies, rinsed thoroughly
- 2L water
- Place anchovies in water and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 45mins.
- 100gm pork fillet (marinate with 1 tsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp wine, 1 tsp light soy sauce, pepper, cornflour)
- baby kailan
- dried mushroom granules to taste
- sesame oil
- white pepper
- fried ikan bilis
- fried shallots
To cook one bowl per person :
- Ladle some soup base into a saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Add in some pork fillet and fish cake.
- Tear the dough ball into small and thin pieces and drop it into the boiling soup. (alternatively : roll out each dough into thin sheet, cut out using cookie cutter)
- Cook for 1 min. Add baby kailan and cook briefly. Crack in an egg. Add in some sesame oil & pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with fried ikan bilis and fried shallots and serve immediately.
July 2015 Event : I have a date with "Pumpkin"