Recipe modified from Food for Tots
- 6 large apples (I used 1 Granny Smith & 5 Pink Lady)
- 6-8 tbsp subsitute sugar
- 6 tsp lemon juice
- 5 strips of julienned lemon rinds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel and core the apples. Quarter the apples. Dice the apple pieces into cubes, about ½ inch or less.
- Put in a large pot, with just enough water to almost cover the first layer of apple pieces. Bring to boil and simmer for 8mins.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir to coat everything.
- Add in lemon peel and cinnamon stick.
- Bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft and all the liquid is cooked off.
- If you want a chunky applesauce, use a potato masher to lightly crush everything. (I used a fork to mash)
- If you want a smooth applesauce, blend it with a food processor.
- Store it in an airtight container. Keep it in the fridge (2-3 weeks) or freeze it. It can be served warm or cold.